“Oh what peace we often forfeit, oh what needless pain we bear.
“All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer.”
Dear Emmanuel and Grace Friends
In all sorts of ways there has been a growing sense that God is drawing us towards prayer.
And so it is out a sense of urgently wanting to include all of you in this “pull toward prayer” that I am writing to you.
Prayer is a paradox – it’s simple and mysterious at the same time.
It’s easy and difficult, comes naturally at times and by conscious determined choice at others.
But it is the oxygen of our spiritual lives and we gain serenity, hope and perspective when we pray.
I’ll be talking about prayer in the Emmanuel service on Sunday, but there are also exciting opportunities for you to be involved in prayers in the life of the congregation. Please have a look at the list below and consider being part of these prayer activities. Please don’t switch off at this point and say that this is not for you, stop and consider, maybe God can use your willingness to pray for others to “prime your pump” and help you in your personal prayer life. So take the challenge and sign up…
1. We have two Prayer Meetings where people take time to pray for the services, the congregation, the neighbourhood and our country.
– On Thursday mornings at 8h45 (just before the Bible Study) for 15 minutes
– On Sunday mornings in the loft (our classroom above the foyer) from 7h45-8h15.
We are having our first Sunday morning prayer meeting this week and are very excited about it.
You can learn all about praying in groups from the document that can be downloaded from:
2. We also have a Prayer Letter which circulates roughly every two weeks and provides those who receive it with a group of specific requests to pray for on a daily basis until the next letter circulates and the requests are updated and rotated. This list is on our website and is password protected for privacy. If you’d like to be part of this, please email me.
3. Do you think you can pray “Arrow Prayers?” We have an SMS Crisis Prayer List. When there are crisis situations we send out an SMS through our bulk sms system to folk on this list who are good at stopping from time to time through the day to pray (send up an “arrow prayer”) for a specific need in those intense moments when prayers are needed. Please email me with your preferred cell# if you’d like to be on this list.
I hope you will take some time to think about prayer – it is our way to draw closer to Christ and What a Friend we have in Him!
With much love,