Sermon Recordings MP3 Post:-
Nqopiso is a Xhosa word which means “renew / recommit / rededicate / make a fresh start.”
You can watch the video we featured: here
You can listen to the song we played here
Introduction: A Background Saint of great influence!
Learning more about Barnabas. “Son of Encouragement.”
He appears in five main scenes in the book of Acts and is referred to in some of Paul’s letters.
There are six main areas where we see him at work:
- The Ananias and Saffira incident: (Acts4:36) He became a believer, sold land and gave money.
- Speaking on Paul’s behalf: (Acts9:27) He went out on a limb for a person.
- In Antioch: (Acts11:22-30 ) He exercised a ministry in a neighbouring church and brought a blessing back to Jerusalem.
He served as a Consultant
- On Mission: (Acts12:2-15:1) Planting new churches.
- Speaking on behalf of the Gentiles: (Acts15:12) Going out on a limb for people groups.
He Championed the cause of the Gentiles.
- Speaking on behalf of John Mark: (Col4:10) Paul and Mark reconciled.
He was Conciliatory
Contributed, Commended, Consulted, Committed, Championed, Conciliated.
It’s quite a CV!
But lets drill down to the bedrock of his significance.
Luke gives it to us in Acts 11
24 He was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and faith, and a great number of people were brought to the Lord.
Greek word – agathos – implies morality, integrity, excellence, upright, honourable
Random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.
Full of the Spirit
Full = covered – abounding – used of leprosy (covered in leprosy)
Ready to be prompted and to listen
Full of Faith
– Ready to step out.
Summarise Last Week
Fruit bearing trees by living water
– Overcome obstacles and grow
– Serve somewhere
– Worship once on a Sunday
Be a Barnabas – Do Good