Sermon Recordings MP3 Post:-
What is Jesus doing in this section?
If He’s bringing Good News – then this is not the way to do it!!!
If He’s wanting to urge people to follow Him, He is not making it easy:
unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.
Ups the Stakes
– Calling someone a fool
– Making an offering with a grudge
– Going to Court
– Committing mental adultery
– Divorcing frivolously
– Don’t make oaths
Why is He doing this?
Because Israel’s God had become too small!
The Pharisees and the Teachers of the Law believed that they had it all taped.
– They had it all figured out!
– They had the measure of God.
– They could satisfy God.
He is raising the standard!
– God isn’t merely interested in our actions – He is concerned about our hearts
– God is concerned about more than what we do or don’t do – He is concerned about our motives
But why? – to make it hard for us?
No! But because God is good – goood — goooood.
We NEVER have the measure of God
We are never going to be good enough!
We need a Saviour!
That’s why He went to the cross!