So here’s the summary of the book.
1. Satan asks permission from God to test Job (Job doesn’t know about this)
2. Job doesn’t falter (and so Satan asks to test him harder) (Job still doesn’t know about this.)
3. Job suffering is so bad that three of his friends Eliphaz, Bildad and Zophar come to sort him out.
Their position is that suffering is punishment for evil and blessing is a reward for good.
4. Job stands his ground and defeats his friends’ arguments.
5. But he also bemoans how hard it is to find wisdom. Life doesn’t make sense!
6. But this stirs up some belligerence in Job – he demands and accounting from God
7. A new character named Elihu appears and explains that God is the source of wisdom
8. God reveals his majesty to Job
9. Job recognises that God is bigger (and gooder) than he had thought
10. God restores Job.
HERE’S JOB GETTING AHEAD OF HIMSELF…
“Oh, that I had someone to hear me!
I sign now my defense–let the Almighty answer me;
let my accuser put his indictment in writing.
36 Surely I would wear it on my shoulder,
I would put it on like a crown.
37 I would give him an account of my every step;
like a prince I would approach him.)”
HERE’S GOD’S RESPONSE TO JOB
Then the LORD answered Job out of the storm. He said:
2 “Who is this that darkens my counsel
with words without knowledge?
3 Brace yourself like a man;
I will question you,
and you shall answer me.
4 “Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation?
Tell me, if you understand.
5 Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know!
Who stretched a measuring line across it?
6 On what were its footings set,
or who laid its cornerstone–
7 while the morning stars sang together
and all the angels shouted for joy?
AND IT GOES ON
Can you bind the beautiful Pleiades?
Can you loose the cords of Orion?
32 Can you bring forth the constellations in their seasons
or lead out the Bear with its cubs?
33 Do you know the laws of the heavens?
Can you set up God’s dominion over the earth?
34 “Can you raise your voice to the clouds
and cover yourself with a flood of water?
35 Do you send the lightning bolts on their way?
Do they report to you, ‘Here we are’?
36 Who endowed the heart with wisdom
or gave understanding to the mind?
37 Who has the wisdom to count the clouds?
Who can tip over the water jars of the heavens?
THEN JOB COMES TO HIS SENSES
40:3 Then Job answered the LORD:
4 “I am unworthy–how can I reply to you?
I put my hand over my mouth.
AND JOB RIGHT-SIZES HIMSELF
42:1 Then Job replied to the LORD:
2 “I know that you can do all things;
no plan of yours can be thwarted.
3 You asked, ‘Who is this that obscures my counsel without knowledge?’
Surely I spoke of things I did not understand,
things too wonderful for me to know.
4 “You said, ‘Listen now, and I will speak;
I will question you,
and you shall answer me.’
5 My ears had heard of you
but now my eyes have seen you.
6 Therefore I despise myself
and repent in dust and ashes.”